he first few days of a baby’s life are so magical and incredible. There is nothing in the world as precious and sweet as a brand new baby and I aim to capture exactly that on film or I guess a digital film these days.
It is important to schedule your newborn session when you are still pregnant to ensure that there is availability. We usually schedule the shoot when your baby is 6-10 days old. This is because newborns are very sleepy at this stage and it is easier to manipulate them and pose them into the shots you’re looking for.
Newborn sessions can be done at my home studio or in your home. Whatever you are most comfortable with is probably the best. Most likely that will be your home as it’s lot of work to get the baby out of the house in that first week and I’m sure you’re very tired and don’t want to travel. The choice is yours. If the session takes place in your home, I ask that a room with lots of available natural light is chosen and tidied up before the shoot.
Our newborn sessions usually last anywhere from 1-2 hours but, with that said, I never limit my time and will shoot until I get the shots that I need! Babies are on their own schedule and during your session we will be following it :-)
Below is some information for what to expect during your newborn session to help you prepare for your photo shoot!
- Plan to feed your little one just before your session. A well fed baby is a happy, calm baby.
- Please don’t feel stressed if we need to stop to allow your baby time for a feed, change or just be soothed by Mom or Dad. Babies have their own schedule and I make sure to account for that.
- Please don’t panic if the baby goes to the bathroom on me or on any of the equipment :-) This is expected in EVERY newborn shoot.
- We clean all of our items and wash all backgrounds and blankets after each session.
- Please have plenty of diapers and wipes to use during the session as well as a change of clothes for mom and dad in case the baby does have an accident on you.
- Please have a black/white t-shirt for yourself and your spouse/partner. This is an important element needed in the process of capturing many popular poses with the parents.
- We love for you to have any important or sentimental items with you to incorporate into the session. I love handmade quilts, blankets, hats, bonnets or anything that has special meaning… It really adds some personalization to the session.
- Clothing for babies should be kept very minimal and simple…less is better in almost every case. Most of the portraits will be done naked or swaddled. That being said, before the session have diapers and/or clothes on loosely to avoid any red indentations on the skin.
- I will have on hand a space heater and something to play soothing music, the white noise like ocean waves are particularly conducive to helping your baby sleep right through the session.
I hope this guide helps and I’m always a phone call or email away if you have any questions before your session.